Thursday, March 21, 2013

And The Winners Are...





Winter Quarter is finally over and I realize I have yet to show my favorites in the conifer line-up.  Oh no!  First a little background... in the horticulture department of Edmonds Community College, the fine institution I am attending, plant identification courses are required.  In the fall we had broadleaf ID and winter quarter is conifer ID.  At first I was sure I would hate conifers but then I was introduced to some fabulous plants.  Conifers may just be some of my favorite plants out there.  I'll give my final verdict on that note after I take deciduous ID this spring.

So, to round off my ever-growing list of conifers I'm now in love with, here are my top four.

Let me introduce you to Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filicoides' or the fernspray Hinoki cypress...


Through my conifer journey, I have realized I totally dig plants and trees that look like they've been bonsai'ed.  I like seeing the definition of the branches instead of just one big ball of plant-life.  The Hinoki cypresses satisfy that need.  And the cool part about the fernspray one is the branchlets hold themselves even closer to the branches so you can see even more definition.  And it is just very cool to see a conifer that looks like a fern.  I mean where did that come from?  Oh that's right, genetic engineering ;)  Here's a picture of the absolutely stunning one we have on campus.


My friend took this with her phone so it's not the best quality but I LOVE IT.  Just very awesome definition.  


The second runner-up is Cedrus lebani or Cedar of Lebanon.  


The form is just beyond cool and it holds its branches so straight.  Very cool.  Here are a few other pictures...

Cedar of Lebanon foliage and cones


The runner-up for the top conifer pick would be another cultivar of the Hinoki cypress.  I love Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis' or slender Hinoki cypress.  There are other forms that are similar that are great like the dwarf version or the dwarf golden version.  Upon my recent visit to a wonderful local nursery, I saw 6" versions of these that were absolutely adorable.  Here is what appears to be a dwarf version...


This foliage looks like cupped hands and it dances around the branches...


Here's the golden form...




The slender or 'Gracilis' form shows a bit of the trunk which is a beautiful red color.  I just love this.  And this tree is often bonsai'ed which is very cool.  




But I have saved the best for last.  My favorite conifer is the Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka' or the Hollywood juniper.  This one is very showy and takes on such cool forms.


These plants just grow like this, they have not been trained.  Sometimes there might be some shearing or pruning such as on the one on the right to make way for a walkway.  But most of the time, thankfully they are let to just grow in their own funky manner.  Two great specimens flank the doors of the Seattle Asian Art Museum...

And then there's this juniper - Juniperus squamata 'Meyeri'... another sculptural flashy specimen.



Just so cool with such character... characteristics I aspire to.

Hopefully you enjoy these cool plants as much as I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment